Architect - Oxford Architects
Main Contractor - Iris Construction Projects Ltd
Brickwork Contractor - Newdawn Construction
Brick -Class A Staffordshire blue multi solid engineering bricks, BN1.2 single bullnose, PL3.1 plinth stretchers, PL4.1 internal returns, PL7.1 external returns as well as Staffordshire blue roll top ridges from Dreadnought tiles on the welsh slate roof. Also for the interior, Staffordshire blue and red square quarry tiles
Bridgnorth Station opened in 1862 and is the working terminus of the Severn Valley Railway (SVR) heritage railway. Lying within the Bridgnorth Conservation Area and overlooked by Pan Pudding Hill, a scheduled ancient monument, the site is a highly significant heritage asset, and all key original buildings still remain. The main Station Building is Grade II listed and since 1979, has been served by a “temporary” Portacabin Refreshment Room which has detracted from the setting of the listed Station.
Planning permission and listed building consent were granted for a new Station Building to provide both refreshments and toilets on the basis that the new building was of demonstrable high quality to minimise its impact on the sensitive heritage landscape.
The new design by Robert Marrows is in the style of a typical ancillary structure of the Great Western Railway (GWR) from 1910 and at a scale which remains subservient to the main listed station building. Drawing from the vernaculars of the GWR, considerable attention has been paid to external and internal details, materials and finishes.
Oxford Architects LLP produced the planning, listed building and construction drawings in close collaboration with Robert Marrows and David Postle. The external face of the wall was built with over 25,000 Staffordshire blue multi solid Class A engineering bricks from Ketley Brick, which have a natural blue tone with random flecks of red and brown on the face giving an antique brindle appearance. These were carefully selected by hand in order to achieve the level of colour variation that would have been seen in this type of brick at the turn of the century.
An English bond laying pattern was used. Due to the insulated cavity construction, 13000 headers were cut by Darren Cadet’s team at Iris Construction Projects Ltd.
Brick detailing, using Ketley plinths and bullnose specials, creates the decorative areas of brickwork for this authentic example of early 20th Century Great Western architecture. The simple single storey structure with pitched slate roof and gable ends has four elaborate brick chimney stacks in the same Ketley brick. Windows and doorways are defined by brick arches above and bullnose brick reveals. Corbelling beneath the eaves as well as plinths at the base of the building allow for a change in depth to the brickwork attracting shadows and adding interest and authenticity.
Considerable care was taken to select a mortar to be consistent with the 1910 GWR aesthetic. Ty Mawr Light Blaenavon crushed aggregate was used in the cement, lime and sand mix. Inside, Ketley quarry tiles have been laid to the floors adding warmth, character and authenticity to the spaces.
The project was managed by an SVR team, and included significant input from Robert Marrows and David Postle. The level of detail and quality of the brick work delivered by main contractor Iris Construction Projects Ltd. and their brickwork subcontractor, Jason Harrison and his team at Newdawn Construction is outstanding. The whole team has shown considerable skill, knowledge and pride in their work.